Who is this course for?
- Dietitians who occasionally or regularly work with bariatric patients who wish to become more confident in helping their patients plan for and navigate pregnancy.
- Dietitians and other clinicians working in obstetrics who are looking to better understand the unique needs of caring for pregnant patients who’ve undergone bariatric surgery.
What this course includes:
- 70-minute presentation
- Copy of the slide deck (79 slides)
- Printable ‘cheat sheet’ to refer to during consultations (21 pages) - A more condensed version of all the key stuff (e.g. recommended blood work, vitamin guidelines, common GI issues, all of the charts and formulas from the presentation, etc.).
- Ready to print handout for patients (4 pages) - We’ve done all of the work for you! This handout is also great to share with the treating OBGYN, GP, or RN.
- Certificate of completion for professional development purposes. - The certificate will be e-mailed to you within 72 hours of purchase of this course.
- The most common types of bariatric surgery
- Obesity and fertility background
- Pregnancy outcomes after bariatric surgery
- Contraception counselling and timing to conception
- Folic acid supplementation
- Weight gain in pregnancy
- Calorie, protein, and carbohydrate needs in pregnancy
- Antenatal vitamins and teratogens
- Food safety
- Vitamin and mineral guidelines for bariatric patients
- Recommended blood work
- Common GI issues in pregnancies
The content of this course is a combination of Lisa’s 10 years of clinical experience in bariatric surgery and 3 years working in obstetrics, ASMBS guidelines, general pregnancy recommendations, and a comprehensive review of the most recent journal articles.
Relevant for the following bariatric procedures: gastric band, sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass, biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Advise bariatric patients on planning for a healthy pregnancy.
- Identify the core nutritional considerations for pregnant bariatric patients.
- Manage common GI/tolerance issues faced by pregnant bariatric patients.
Hi, I’m Lisa Kaouk, MPH, RD
I’m a Canadian registered dietitian from Montreal, Quebec.
I’ve been practicing in the field of bariatric surgery at a tertiary care centre (recognized as a Bariatric Centre of Excellence) with a volume of 500+ new patients a year, for over 10 years. I’m also the co-founder of bariatricsurgerynutrition.com, a private practice focused on providing online support to pre- and post-op bariatric patients.
Prior to my bariatric career, my main area of practice was in obstetrics and fertility, so it was only natural for me to combine these specialties eventually. I’ve delivered this presentation live multiple times over the last 3 years at national conferences and to groups of dietitians in healthcare facilities. I’m excited to now be able to offer it online to increase its reach, as I know many more healthcare providers would benefit from learning about this super niche population.
If you have any questions about this course, for group rates, or if you’re interested in receiving an affiliate link, you can reach me at [email protected].
Lisa Kaouk, MPH, RD